Ten things you can do for your mental health
The body and mind are inextricably connected, and it is essential to take care of both for a healthy lifestyle. We are used to taking care of our bodies by regularly exercising and eating well. However, most of us do not know what we can do to sustain and improve our mental health. It is vital to treat our mental health as we treat our physical health. So here are some tips on how to take care of your mental health.
- The first tip is an obvious one, however, a very crucial one. Eat well. Every year more and more research emphasises the importance of what we eat and how food affects our body and mind. Eating healthy and regularly can positively affect your body and mind in the long run.
- Get a good night's sleep. We tend to forget how important sleep is for our physical and mental well-being. It helps regulate the chemicals in our brain that transmit information. If you are having trouble sleeping, try to figure out why. Then, create a pre-bed routine that helps you wind down and signals your body that it is time for sleep. We suggest no screen time at least one hour before bed; maybe reading a book will work for you and dimming the lights. Be mindful of the coffee intake during the day, and don't eat too late.
- It has been known for quite some time that physical activity works wonders also for our mental well-being. Instead of forcing yourself into an activity that is popular right now, try to find one you like, or at least don't hate. Some people like running, others like yoga, there is no one solution for all. However, if you find something that suits you and your lifestyle, you will be more likely to stick to it regularly.
- Find the right balance in your life. Being busy all the time is not as glorifying as it used to be. The myth that you need to work 24/7 and that this is a sign of success is slowly falling apart. We are becoming aware of how important it is to have the right balance in life. The more you can find the balance between work, family, and leisure in your life, the better you will be at work; you will be a more present partner, parent, and friend, which will inevitably lead to a more healthy lifestyle. Explore and find what balance between all areas of your life works best for you.
- Connect with nature. Go for a walk in the nearby fields or a run in the forest. Tend to your garden, if you have one. There have been many studies about the positive influence spending time in nature has on our mind. It can improve your mood, reduce feelings of stress and anxiety and help you feel more relaxed.
- Discover the benefits aromatherapy can have on your general well-being. Our sense of smell is a remarkable gift. Aromas evoke memories, emotions and can help us feel calm. Aromatherapy is a natural way to improve our mental well-being through the excitement of our sense of smell. For example, lavender and rose can have a very calming effect. Essential oils trigger mechanisms in our brain through the olfactory system and help induce neurotransmitters' release. So inhaling essential oils can help us produce serotonin and dopamine to help regulate the mood. Read more about the benefits of rose and lavender essential oil in our products here.
- Find what approaches to dealing with stress work best for you. Stress is a part of life and isn't going anywhere. However, how we deal with it is a game-changer. Some people like to meditate and some to exercise. It all depends on what suits you best. We love the breathing technique 444. You count to four while taking a deep breath, then hold it while counting to four, and then slowly breathe out while counting to four. There are many other approaches out there. Find the ones that work for you.
- It is crucial to recognise and admit to ourselves and others that we sometimes need a break, whether from our job or daily activities. So you should not feel guilty if you need a day or two for yourself. Or even more. Taking some time for relaxation and recharging your batteries is preventive medicine. You give your body time to rest and, by doing this, support your immune system.
- Set goals that you can achieve and break down all the steps to get there. Sometimes we have big dreams. So big that they scare us. And there is nothing wrong with that, but it can all become overwhelming. To achieve your big goals, break them down into small achievable steps you can follow. It is also important not to over schedule.
- Reach out for help even if you think you have to solve and deal with everything yourself. There is no threshold of struggling that you have to reach before you can contact a friend, doctor or therapist. If you are experiencing mood changes that persist for a long time - talk to someone and get help.
Did you enjoy this blog? Subscribe to our newsletter at the bottom of our website and get a weekly dose of interesting facts and good news.
Also in Blog
A sustainable approach to living is something that neither consumers nor brands can ignore any longer. It has been a long time coming, and we finally realise how vital it is to be mindful of our choices and their impact on the planet and the people around us. Most of us know that we can no longer turn a blind eye to sustainability and want to make a change for the better. The first and most crucial step is to become more conscious about our lifestyle and its impact. To understand how the food we eat, the clothes we buy and the products we put on our skin, amongst other things, affects our environment.