A sustainable approach to living is something neither consumers nor brands can ignore any longer. It has been a long time coming, and we finally realise how vital it is to be mindful of our choices and their impact on the planet and the people around us.
Most of us know that we can no longer turn a blind eye to sustainability and want to make a change for the better. The first and most crucial step is to become more conscious about our lifestyle and its impact. To understand how the food we eat, the clothes we buy and the products we put on our skin, amongst other things, affect our environment.
There are so many areas where we as a society could and should do better. That is why it is highly confusing and overwhelming for an individual to know how and where to start. This is one of the reasons why a lot of people do not even try. But do not worry; we are here to help and guide you. The most important thing is to start small. You do not have to drastically change your habits and routines and turn your life upside down to contribute to a better world. Instead, choose one area where you will live more sustainably, focus on small steps and go from there.
As a beauty brand with sustainability at the heart of our mission, we want to support you on your journey to a more eco-friendly beauty routine. So we have gathered some of the crucial information for you in one place. The small but significant changes you can start making now.
1. Pay attention to the packaging. Without a doubt, one of the most significant issues of the cosmetics industry is the plastic packaging that can take hundreds of years to break down. A lot of it is not recycled and ends up in landfills or, worse in nature. Scientists estimate that 12 million tons of plastic are entering our oceans every year and that by the current rate, there will be 600 million tons of plastic in the oceans by 2040. When possible, choose products in glass, aluminium, and biodegradable plastic packaging. And make sure that you recycle all of the components according to the instructions of your local recycling centre. Many stores also offer incentives to return the empty packaging and recycle it on your behalf. Or you can upcycle used containers. For example, our Beauty Masquerade Customisable Clay Treatment glass jar can be used to store spices. It will be a nice embellishment on your kitchen shelf. Or you can use it as a makeup brush holder.
2. Ingredients matter. Not only because of their impact on your skin and overall health but also because of their impact on the environment. Consider choosing cosmetics made from 100% natural ingredients and ingredients that are not toxic when washed down the drain. Avoid products with harsh synthetic chemicals, microplastic and microbeads, which are usually made from polyethylene. These tiny plastic particles are too small to be filtered out. They are a common ingredient in shower gels, peelings, toothpaste and other products. As they leak into rivers and oceans, they damage ecosystems and affect all living things' health.
3. Replace makeup wipes and single-use cotton pads with reusable pads that you can wash over and over in your washing machine. Makeup wipes take up to 100 years to break down in landfills, and it takes a lot of water and chemicals to grow cotton. For example, 20.000 litres of water is needed for one T-shirt. With reusable pads, you will not only be doing something good for the environment, but you will also save money in the long run. Also, use cotton swabs made of bamboo or paper instead of plastic.
4. Don't leave the water running while washing your face, brushing your teeth or shampooing your hair. This one is an oldie but still a goldie. Clean and drinking water is becoming a very precious resource, and we must treat it as such.
5. Use a safety razor instead of a plastic one. There are many chrome or stainless-steel razors that only require replacing the blades every few weeks. The reusable handle means less plastic waste, and the blades can be recycled.
6. Explore the trend of refillable cosmetics. There are many different refillable beauty products available, from lipsticks, eyeshadows and deodorants.
7. Instead of plastic toothbrushes that will probably end up in the oceans, rivers, or landfills, use bamboo or an electric toothbrush. Some brands even accept used toothbrush heads from their electric toothbrushes and recycle them.
We know that trying to live a more sustainable life can feel overwhelming and discouraging. However, we believe that shopping consciously with sustainability in mind should not be complicated or stressful. For example, people used to think that when it comes to beauty products, they have to compromise on quality, smell, and texture if they buy sustainable and natural products. But eco-friendly beauty brands have repeatedly proven that they can be as good and efficient as other brands. And at the same time being better for the user and the environment.
And remember, whatever little you can do to make your beauty routine, or life in general, more sustainable is better than doing nothing at all.
Did you enjoy this blog? Subscribe to our newsletter at the bottom of our website and get a weekly dose of interesting facts and good news.