Top 10 Sustainable switches
Sustainability and the environment are currently in the public consciousness in a way they haven’t been before. We have all seen the heart-breaking images of plastic in our oceans, affecting wildlife and polluting the planet. The good news is that we all have the power to make better individual choices, to create less waste and make positive changes that will have an impact for future generations too. It can be hard to know where to start when you first start making changes, so here are ten easy sustainable switches to help you on your eco-friendly journey:
1. Invest in a reusable water bottle – Each year billions of single-use plastic water bottles are used around the world and the majority of these are sadly not recycled. With more locations offering water fountains and refills, there has never been a better time to invest in a reusable water bottle to help keep you hydrated on the go and reduce waste as you do so. Glass is a great option, as it doesn’t change the taste of the water and easy to clean.
2. Choose to reuse with an eco-coffee cup – Disposable cups for hot drinks are made from a variety of different materials that are very difficult to recycle, meaning that most are destined for landfill. Choosing a reusable eco cup made from materials such as bamboo will not only save waste but also can save you money as more coffee shops reward customers for bringing their own cup.
3. Shop plastic free where you can – Shopping plastic free isn’t yet an easy task, but the good news is that supermarkets are paying attention to consumer demand and more plastic-free items are available than before. By choosing plastic free fruits, vegetables and other staples where possible, you are creating more demand for sustainable, plastic-free products. Simple cotton bags are a great alternative to the plastic bags on offer for produce and can be reused again and again.
4. Ditch the mineral oil – Did you know many of the cosmetics on sale contain mineral oil, an inexpensive and non-renewable ingredient? With more choice than ever before choosing natural beauty products that use plant oils rather than unsustainable mineral oils is an easy switch to make.
5. Use a bamboo toothbrush – Plastic toothbrushes will be used for a matter of months but will hang around for years afterward in a landfill. Sourcing a toothbrush with a bamboo handle means once you have removed the bristles it can be composted at home and will save on yet another piece of plastic going to the bin.
6. Embrace an old fashion shave – Plastic razors, disposable heads with even more plastic, the simple act of hair removal has become a wasteful habit. There is, however, another way, old-fashioned safety razors are making a comeback. With minimal waste and a long-lasting shave, they are a fantastic sustainable choice for the bathroom.
7. Simplify your cleaning routine – Looking at the supermarket cleaning isles you would think you need a different bottle for each task around you to carry out around the home. Luckily you only really need a few basic products to get the job done. Invest in a good eco-friendly multi-purpose cleaner and use ingredients such as vinegar for cleaning glass. Simple can be very effective.
8. Bars not bottles – With many consumers switching to more eco-friendly packaging, items like soap and shampoo bars are in high demand. Look for products with minimal, natural ingredients and compostable cardboard packaging.
9. Sustainable storage – Make your kitchen more sustainable by choosing food storage wisely. Keep pulses, nuts and other cupboard staples in reusable mason jars. Store leftovers in glass containers and use beeswax wraps instead of unsustainable plastic wraps.
10. Switch up your laundry – Washing clothes is a daily essential, but the plastic waste generated from most washing products doesn’t have to be. Eco alternatives such as Soapnuts, an eco-egg or even simply sourcing washing powder that is plastic free are all better alternatives for the planet and cut down a lot of waste in the process.
At Flower and Spice, we use glass jars and our products are made in a certified 100% sustainable laboratory in Switzerland.
Make at least one switch today and contribute towards a cleaner planet.
Please subscribe on the bottom of this page for more interesting blogs about healthier and more sustainable living.