Think about that special friend, the one you can always rely on. You may not see her all the time, but she’s there when you need her. She’s the first person you call when you have exciting news, feel like a girlie night out or need a shoulder to cry on. In the skincare world that friend is… the clay mask. The dependable multitasker with a long list of skincare benefits.
Clay masks are an important part of your skincare routine as they perform a specific function that may not exist in your day-to-day routine. They’re there to lend a hand when your skin can do with a little extra help. They give the skin a wonderful deep cleansing boost. They are super absorbent; acting like sponges, they attract and draw out grime from deep within the skin. They stimulate circulation, increasing the supply of oxygen and nutrients to nourish the skin. They have a gentle exfoliating effect and can even soothe sensitive, dry and inflamed skin.
The right way to use a clay mask
The biggest misconception when using a clay mask is that it should be left on the skin until it becomes dry and flaky. This can result in the skin becoming dry, dehydrated and irritated. Never allow your mask to become dried out and crumbly before removing it.
A clay mask goes through three phases when applied to the skin.
Phase 1: the damp phase – clay absorbs water and expands, than drags the impurities out of the pores, while active ingredients ads benefits to your skin
Phase 2 – the slightly dry phase – increase in blood flow as the mask begins to cool and contract. Always remove the mask during this phase.
Phase 3: the dry phase – moisture is drawn from the surface of the skin as the mask has been left on the skin for slightly too long.
For best results, make sure you properly prepare your skin before applying your mask.
- Cleanse your skin thoroughly.
- Apply an even layer to damp skin on your face, neck and chest area, avoiding the delicate skin around the eyes and the lips. A mask brush or large foundation brush helps with easy application. Try using a mask or treatment specifically designed for the eyes or lips while your clay mask is on.
- Keep the mask moist by spraying with water or toner during the 10 minutes that the mask is on. Spray every time you feel that the mask is reaching the dry phase, about 2 to 3 times. But don’t feel tempted to leave the mask on longer than recommended, there’s no added benefit, and it may result in irritation due to overstimulation.
- Remove with a re-usable cloth and warm water. Blot with the wet cloth and gently wipe over your face, taking care not to drag the skin.
- Spray your skin with toner and apply your favourite serum or moisturiser.
- Use once or twice weekly or whenever your skin needs a little boost.
Our Beauty Masquerade Customisable Clay Treatment is a blend of mild yet highly effective clays, flowers and spices. It lifts the senses with an intoxicating aroma of citrus and spice as it gently removes impurities, revealing a complexion aglow with restored balance.
We use a combination of mineral rich rhassoul and white kaolin clays for their deep cleansing, absorptive and soothing properties. They are excellent carriers for an array of other sumptuous ingredients in our Beauty Masquerade Treatment, which include hibiscus, turmeric root and panax ginseng.
Hibiscus, known as the ‘Botox’ plant, helps improve skin elasticity and tone whilst keeping the skin well hydrated and promoting luminosity.
Turmeric Root Extract has anti-inflammatory properties that helps calm sensitive skin and reduce redness, making it beneficial for inflamed, stressed skin prone to skin conditions like eczema and dermatitis. Its antioxidant properties help protect against free radical damage.
Panax Ginseng helps reduce the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles while balancing and brightening skin. It has antioxidant and revitalising properties beneficial to dry skin.
How to use:
Our Beauty Masquerade is fully customisable to address a variety of skin concerns and treat the skin’s evolving needs.
To activate the clay, mix one-part dry powder with a liquid of your choice to form a lightweight paste. Experiment a little; try water, aloe vera juice, herbal infusions, floral waters, kombucha, kefir water, cucumber juice…
And now for the fun part. You can add a variety of ingredients to the paste depending on your skin’s needs. Here are some of our favourites:
- For oily problematic skin prone to breakouts, add some honey. Honey is a great humectant; it draws moisture from the deeper skin layers and can help control the oil and water balance in the skin. Its antibacterial properties fight acne-causing bacteria while its anti-inflammatory speed up the healing process.
- For sensitive, red or inflamed skin, add aloe vera gel for its soothing and cooling properties.
- For a refreshing and revitalising treatment, add a small amount of plain yogurt and/or crushed fresh fruit like avocado or strawberries. Yogurt contains lactic acid, an alpha hydroxy acid, that gently exfoliates the skin for a lovely natural glow.
- For dehydrated skin, add vegetable glycerine or honey. Both are brilliant humectants, acting like sponges that attract water to the outer layer of the skin and lock it there by slowing down evaporation.
- For dry skin, add a rich nourishing oil like almond, avocado, marula or argan oil.
To further enhance the properties of the Beauty Masquerade Treatment and create the ultimate luxury treatment we love adding add a few drops of our Midnight Beauty Rich Revitalising Serum.
What are your favourites? We’d love to know.
Did you enjoy this blog? Subscribe to our newsletter at the bottom of our website and get a weekly dose of interesting facts and good news.